Public Defender Services are provided through a contract with the Walther Law Offices of Dayton, NV. The Public Defender provides representation for:
- Misdemeanor Cases: A case in which the highest charge is a misdemeanor.
- Category B, C, D, or E Felony or Gross Misdemeanor Cases: A case in which the highest charge is a gross misdemeanor or a Category B, C, D, or E felony for which the maximum penalty is less than ten (10) years imprisonment. \
- Category B Felony Cases (10+ year maximum): A case in which the highest charge is a Category B felony for which the maximum penalty is greater than ten (10) years imprisonment.
- Non-Capital Category A Cases: A case in which the highest charge is a non-capital Category A felony.
- Capital Cases: A case in which the highest charge is a capital Category A felony.
- Juvenile Proceedings: A case in which a juvenile is alleged to be delinquent or in need of supervision.
- Appeals: Any appeal of an interlocutory adjudication or Final Adjudication in a Case to the Third Judicial District or the Nevada Supreme Court.
- Other Cases: Any other case in which the assignment of court-appointed counsel is required or permitted by law.
The requirements and regulations to provide Indigent Defense are set by the Department of Indigent Defense Services https://dids.nv.gov/. The Lyon County Indigent Defense Plan can be found at https://www.lyon-county.org/DocumentCenter/View/10934/-_Plan_for_the_Provision_of_Indigent_Defense_Services-1
Contact information for the Walther Law Offices is: