The Board of Commissioners discussed suicide prevention and recovery as part of an agenda item to approve a Proclamation proclaiming September 2020 as Suicide Prevention and Recovery Month. Shayla Holmes, Director of Human Services, presented the scope of the problem:
⪢Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for Nevada’s youth age 15-24 (Office of Suicide Prevention, 2017).
⪢Suicide is the 8th leading cause of death for Nevadans.
⪢Veterans comprise an estimated 23% of all completed suicides in NV.
⪢Nevada seniors over 65 have the 4th highest suicide rate in the nation, almost double the national average for the same age group.
Shayla also provided the Board with the role that Human Services is providing:
Programs for Community Members:
⪢Opioid Education and Resources
⪢Differential Response/Family Support
⪢Mobile Outreach Safety Team (MOST)
⪢Healthy IDEAS for Seniors
⪢Lyon County Public and Behavioral Health Taskforce
⪢Participation with Northern Regional Behavioral Health Policy Board
Community Chest explained the programs they provide to address behavioral health issues
- 24/7 Crisis Hotline with a licensed Mental Health clinician for triage, referral, or intake if appropriate
- Trauma-informed care
- Certified Multidimensional Family Therapists (MDFT), Certified Disaster Mental Health Response Specialist (CDMHRS),
- Multi-disciplinary team providing wrap-around services
- Individual, Family, and Couples counseling for ages 3 and up
- Funding provided for victims of crime (OVW, VOCA, FVPSA) Sliding scale used when funding not available.
- Mental health and Substance abuse Evaluations provided to courts
- Advocacy services for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Western Nevada presented their role
- NAMI Warmline (775-241-4212)
- Family Support
- Peer Groups
- Local, State, and Federal Advocacy
During the month of September there will a number of events to bring attention to this important issue, including:
- School District Middle through High School Poster Contest
- Virtual “Stop and Take a Walk” on September 10th
- Social Media and Media Campaigns