September 3, 2020 The Board of County Commissioners approved the five year Master Plan for the 9-1-1 surcharge. This fee was created by the Legislature to provide a dedicated funding source for 9-1-1 related services.
The approved Lyon County five-year masterplan for the use of the proceeds of the Telephone Surcharge pursuant to NRS 244A.7641 through 244A.7647 and Lyon County Code Title 3, Chapter 10. The Lyon County Board of Commissioners shall, at least annually, review and, if necessary, update this master plan. Funds generated by the Telephone Surcharge may only be used for the following purposes pursuant to NRS 244A.7645(2) and (3)(a):
- Purchasing and maintaining portable event recording devices and vehicular event recording devices;
- Paying recurring and nonrecurring charges for telecommunication services necessary for the operation of the enhanced telephone system;
- Paying costs for personnel and training associated with the routine maintenance and updating of the database for the system;
- Purchasing, leasing or renting the equipment and software necessary to operate the enhanced telephone system, including, without limitation, equipment and software that identify the number or location from which a call is made; and
- Paying costs associated with any maintenance, upgrade and replacement of equipment and software necessary for the operation of the enhanced telephone system.
The following eight items have been identified as the highest need and are listed in priority order with
their estimated costs.
- Hosted 911 phone system and phone lines. Estimated cost is $200,000 per year.
- Development of a Geographical Information Systems (GIS) centerline software/database to enable displaying the location of a call or a response unit in the Computer Aided Dispatch system’s mapping function. Estimated cost is $100,000, one time.
- Purchase of mobile solution hardware and communications devices. This would include, in order: Geographical Positioning System (GPS) devices to report the location of each response unit; wireless communication equipment, such as aircards, to connect to the dispatching system; and mobile data devices, such as laptops or tablets, to access the dispatching software. Estimated cost is $100,000 per year.
- Annual fees for aircard connectivity for the mobile solution hardware. Estimated cost is $100,000 per year.
- Recording system equipment to record telephone calls. Estimated cost is $80,000 one time, with annual maintenance fees of $10,000 per year.
- Radios for handheld, vehicle, and base station use for emergency responder communication with Dispatch. Estimated cost is $268,000 the first year and $230,000 per year thereafter.
- eDispatches paging service for Dispatch to communicate with emergency responders. Estimated cost is $1,000 to implement and $7,740 per year in ongoing fees.
- Maintenance agreement on the dispatch radio consoles to communicate with emergency responders. Estimated cost is $19,000 per year.